Wow! I didn't realize that I haven't blogged for almost 2 months. The holidays and the catch up work after that has definitely kept me busy.

Today, I like to put my thoughts on electric vehicles. In the Philippines, most vehicle owners would rather repair their cars rather than buy new ones. This is likely the reason for the traffic problems in our cities. Considering this, I believe that EV conversion would be a successful business in our country.

I have always wondered how to convert an internal combustion engine (ICE) car to EV. My cousin, who is mechanically adept, thinks that this is easiest by using a 4x4 system. 2 wheels connected to ICE, 2 wheels connected to an electric motor. This is more of a hybrid rather than a pure EV. The size of the ICE constrains the size of the motor you can use.

I did more research on how to convert ICE cars to EVs and found a series of you tube videos by a guy named Gav from NZ. The process is essentially to remove the ICE and replace it with a high performance electric motor. The motor has to be fitted into the gear box. After this control/charging circuits and batteries are then installed. The results are quite impressive. A car that can run silently about 40 kph. When it "revs up" it sounds like a spaceship.

Below is one of those videos showing the installation of the motor on the donor vehicle. Hopefully this helps you transition from the ICE age to the EV age.



1 comments

  1. Unknown // February 28, 2009 at 12:01 PM  

    Hi,

    I wish to ask from which source did your carbon emissions per kwh comes from? I am doing some environmental analysis and I need to provide data on how much savings our system can bring, and I need verifiable proof on co2 per kwh.

    Thanks,

    hmdaswani@gmail.com