I began experimenting with the Energy Plus plugin for Google SketchUp. The concept of the tool is to use SketchUp to render a building model and launch a EPlus simulation from it. It is an excellent tool from the geometric aspect as you just have to click and drag shapes to make the structure. The problem is that the simulations don't work!!! Output CSV (Comma Separated Value) files don't come out. Why? It might be a problem of passing parameters or some issues in variable naming consistency. I guess I have to read the Input Output Reference of EPlus to find out. It looks like I'll be using the plugin to render the geometric aspect but I'll use the EPlus IDF (Input Data File) editor to work on the thermal and run parameter. As soon as I figure this out, I'll be saying something about it here. 'Til then....

3 comments

  1. Anonymous // September 28, 2008 at 4:35 PM  

    so? do you have an answer for the problem. I also tried the plug in with no success. Don t know what is happening.

  2. Rean Tirol // September 29, 2008 at 10:26 AM  

    I got it to run. The key thing to consider is that the plugin is NOT a fully functional replacement of energy plus. I use it only to do the geometric aspects of the model. I still have to go to Eplus to define materials and equipment etc.

  3. Anonymous // January 14, 2009 at 12:19 AM  

    If you want to use Sketch up for E+, you have to get an additional plug-in called Open Studio (http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/energyplus/openstudio.cfm)as interface, Freeware. That helps you creating zones and idf files to run a simulation...Good luck